It can seem daunting to hire a professional painter, especially if it is a large project. It doesn’t have to be…
It’s important to thoroughly research potential tradespeople and their businesses before you look for the right painter/decorator.
It details the key tasks that a painter/decorator performs and how to research them when you are looking to hire one.
What They Do?
Painters do more than just paint. The preparation stage is just as important as any creative endeavour. It determines the quality of the final product.
A painter who emphasizes the preparation stage will achieve a professional finish.
This is important to remember when considering whether you should hire a professional or do it yourself. John stresses the importance of hiring a professional to achieve a better outcome than DIY.
It’s a common saying to hire someone if you want to do a professional job.
- Cleanse surfaces of dust and old wallpaper/paint
- Plastering – Smooth and even surfaces
- Repairing cracks and holes
- Smooth joints
- Taping up/masking
- Application primer
- Protective coverings and drop cloths
Once the preparation is complete, the painter/decorator will apply the wallpaper or finishing coats.
Additional skills that a painter/decorator must have:
- Solid knowledge of the different types of paint and colours
- Expert knowledge of how to prepare many surfaces, which products to use and how to apply finishes
- Staying current with the latest products and techniques
- Expert advice regarding colour selection and type of finish
- Calculate the materials required for your project and find them
- Get accurate estimates and cost estimates for jobs
- Communication skills and good people are key to success
How do you choose the right painter decorator for your project?
John has helped us put together some important steps for choosing a professional artist.
Please make a list of local painters and decorators in Auckland and research them.
These attributes are the basis for your research:
- Years of experience in the trade
- Qualifications and their status
- Association Membership – i.e., Master Painters New Zealand
- Review – See reviews from previous customers
- Ask for examples of their work in person
Reduce your choices to three and request a written quote:
- Instead of an hourly rate, ask for a fixed price.
- Ask them to give you an estimate of the time it will take.
- Visit the site personally.
After you have chosen a tradesperson to represent you, make sure that they sign the following:
- A set start and end date
- Payment expectations
- What are the requirements to prepare the area?